Since 2004, The Future University, formerly CMC, is in partnership with UNESCO. The Future University is the first private academic institution hosting UNESCO Chair in Sudan and the region in coordination with The Cousteau Society (TCS). The UCEC assumed a proactive and effective role in environmental awareness, policy making, education, technical assistance and research for sustainable development. To realize such UCEC objectives the Chair should serve as a “resource centre of excellence”.
- Vision and Mission
Bearing in mind the UNESCO theme i.e.” building up peace attitude in human minds through education, science, culture and communication” UCEC is approaching it’s vision toward environmental sustainability and it’s mission towards technology transfer to conserve the environment.
The role of UCEC in Sudan and the region is to emphasize the paramount importance of promoting the implementation of environmentally friendly techniques leading to sustainable development. The main objectives are the following:
- Encourage Environmental Integrated System of (R&D), Training and Documentation
- Offer an innovative short training courses with reference to UNESCO mandate for UNITWN/ Chairs projects.
- Develop an Eco-Informatics Networking among relevant academic institutions and NGOs on national and regional level.
- Enhance and develop of an Environmentally Friendly Tourism as a relatively new concept in Sudan to generate money for environment protection.
- Promote the Environmental Awareness of the public, as well as the decision makers
- Support Transfer, Adoption and Dissemination of Clean Environmental Technologies
- Ongoing Research Projects
Within the framework of the chair to conduct scientific research for realization of the sustainable development in the related areas, different research projects have been prepared and submitted to the relevant institutions seeking for financial support.
Titles of the of the submitted projects (October, 2011) are:
1. A Geoinformatic based assessment of ground water quality in Khartoum State, Sudan
2. Quality of ground water in Khartoum State, Sudan
3. Impact of artisanal gold mining in Nuba Mountain, case study of Jebel Miri, Southern Kordofan State
4. Environmental impact of the artisanal gold mining in Sudan
5. Bioremedation of Petroleum contaminated sites
6. Impact of oil drilling on biodiversity in Hegleig region in Western Sudan
- The Eco-Sustainability Monthly Forum (ESMF)
The main objective of ESMF is to increase The Environmental Awareness of the general public, professionals, postgraduate students as well as the decision makers in order to meets the community needs for scientific advice by highlighting issues of interest at the right time. So far, 52 sessions and/or workshop have been organized dealing with a broad spectrum of the environmental issues, topics and themes at local, regional and international levels. During 2012 the following titles have been tackled:
- Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Potentials for Mineral and Geologic Explorations, – 14/01/2012
- An Introduction to Green Technology: Concept and Application – 23/02/2012
- Climate Change Negotiation: Durban Conference of Parties – 27/03/2012
- Environmental Impact of Non-Ionizing Radiation- 07/05/2012
- Biotechnology ver. Biosafety – 29/05/2012
- Radioactive Waste Management in Sudan- 30/06/2012
- Rio+20 Conference- Challenges of Green Economy – 29/08/2012
- Environmental Application of Nanotechnology- 26/09/2012
- Problems of Cancer in Sudan, Possible Environmental Impact,- 23/10/2012
- Solar Energy Industry in Sudan: Potential and Challenges- 27/11/2012
- Remediation of Oil Spills to Groundwater at Airports- An Example Khartoum Airport – 30/12/2012
- Performance Evaluation:
1.The main three areas of interest i.e. capacity building, networking and environmental awareness are not equally covered.
2.A great deal of effort has been done concerning the Eco-Informatics Network (EIN), however, the only obstacle is the registration as org.com elsewhere.
3.Such recommendations from the tackled subject shall be considered and submitted to the related executive authority to maximize the benefit
4.More emphases on the related applied research in collaboration with the regional and international academic institutions shall be taken into account.
5.The awareness shall be oriented towards the environmentally friendly techniques in order to realize the motto of the Chair.