Forum no.13: The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)
- Dr. Ismail Elgizouli
- Dr. Hanna Hamad Allah
- Dr. Saad Alden Ibrahim
* UNFCCC adopted in 1992 ,the output was:
o Stabilization of GHG concentrations,
o Agreed to common but differentiated responsibility,
o Framework only – no targets.
* While Kyoto Protocol in 1997was legally binding targets for industrialized Annex I countries, Kyoto entered into force in 2005.
* Six types of gases with different global warming potential (Carbon dioxide, Methane, Nitrous oxide, Sulphur hexafluoride, Hydrofluorocarbons and Perfluorocarbone).Usually expressed in Co2 equivalent.
* CDM Benefits the developing countries by attracting the capital for projects that reduce emissions, Encourage and permit the active participation of both private and public sectors and Provide a tool for energy substitutes.
* CDM must contribute to a-non- Annex I countries sustainable development objectives through Poverty alleviation through income and employment generation.
* Improved air quality by check and control of Green House Gases Emissions and Sustainable way of energy production.
o CDM principles, the prerequisite to its application, evaluation, approval process, design and CDM procedures.
o Establishing criteria (social, economic and environmental) to serve sustainable development objectives in developing countries.
o CDM projects cycle (PIN,PDD, Validation and Verification , Regestration )and types of CDM projects (energy, waste management, land use, etc…).
o CDM goals:
o Helping undeveloped countries to achieve sustainable development.
o Developed countries to meet their commitments and reduce emissions according to Kyoto.
o Benefits of environment and investor at the same time presented in exchanging carbon and other GHGs reduced by projects.
o Transfer of technology and capital to the less developed countries.
o Importance of CDM and how to joint the Designated National Authority in Sudan (location: higher council for environment and natural resources).
o Sudan potentiality to utilize the CDM.
o Recommendation: design projects for CDM matching with the needs of sustainable development in Sudan.
- For Dr. Ismail Elgizouli Presentation Click here
- For Dr. Hanna Hamad Allah Presentation Click here
- For CDM defenition Click here