Forum no.7: Environmental Prospective on the Oil Industry
Keynote Speakers :
- Prof. Asim Magrabi
- Dr. Mahjoub Hassan
- Dr. Seddig Essa
1. Sudan geographical description, the demographic factor, position in the African continent.
2. Both the flora and fauna of the Sudan have become seriously denuded in the past few decades. 65 percentage of the area of the country is affected by desertification to varying degrees.
3. The available water resources and pollution (site drilling discharge pits).
4. Global warming, repeated droughts and desertification accelerated rates of deterioration in water resources.
5. Presenting some of the country’s environmental problems, e.g: Annual rate of deforestation is estimated to be close to 504 thousand hectares.
6. The environmental dimensions have often been discounted. The result is that we have never achieved food security and do suffer from cyclic droughts and famines
7. Development is random and short sighted. No environmental evaluation.
8. The energy crisis is aggravating desertification and affecting climate change.
9. Large scale deforestation takes place, while roads divert the flow of major khores.
10. Dust impact on vegetation and road safety.
11. Considerable wildlife species have been lost in the past three decades.
12. Unchecked logging, charcoal traffic, animal poaching.
13. Explaining the process of oil fields development.
14. Poor waste management either domestic or drilling products (chemicals end up in the food chain & the water table).
15. Some of the companies have started taking environmental considerations more seriously.
16. Sources of oil pollution along the Sudan red sea coast and the oil spill contingency plan during production, pumping through the pipe line & shipping from marine terminals (at all capacities/ton.)
17. Example of Living & non living resources.
18. The legal frame work (environmental protection acts and Commercial Maritime Law).
19. Regional conventions (Jeddah 1982).
20. The international Treaties (UNCLOS 1982).
21. Tiered response concept.
22.Equipments used in contingencies (skimmers, dispersants, mechanical recovery, etc) & the advantages of each method.
23. National oil spill contingency plan for the Sudan & required funding.
24. Marine Emergency Mutual Aid Centre (MEMAC) network.
25.Showing the last pollution accident in Jan 2008, till date the area is not totally recovered!
For Prof. Asim Magrabi Presentation Click here