Forum no.49: Solar Energy Industry in Sudan: Potential and challenges

Forum no.49:  Solar Energy Industry in Sudan: Potential and challenges

Key note speakers:

1.  Dr. Nour-Alla Yassin, Researcher, Energy Research Institute, National Centre for Research
  2.  Dr. Abdalla Mergheni,  UNESCO/Cousteau Ecotechnie Chair Holder  will chair the session and initiate dialogue.

Summary :

1.Potential  of Solar Energy in Sudan.

• Potentials ( Resources , Human capital Institutional, Private sector, Demands potential, level of electrification, Supply of conventional  energy).
  • Solar energy sources.
  • Solar energy advantages.
  • Technology advantages.
  •  Market potential.
  • Potential for stand-alone systems .
  •  Potential for IPPs (Grid connected).

2.Challenges of solar energy industry

•  Marketing Obstacles
  • Technology Obstacles

a. Particular to Stand alone systems

b.Specialization required (no one-stop-market)

c.Possibility of grid instability.

3.Missing links (investors/ user perspectives )

•  Investors perspective ( Feasibility,  Risk, Aversion, ROI )
  • Users perspective (Abundant, Affordable, Reliable)
  • Market Failure and public goods (the solar benefits)

4.Collaborative Actions Required

•  Support conducive to Solar Energy Industries
  •  Policy Required

For  Dr. Nour-Alla Yassin Presentation   Click here

UCEC

Coordinator & web admin of the UNESCO / Cousteau Ecotechnie Chair (UCEC)

4 thoughts on “Forum no.49: Solar Energy Industry in Sudan: Potential and challenges

• November 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I would like to know more about solar energy in Sudan .

• January 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

send on the my e-mail what kind of information you would like to know. hope to be able to help you

• April 27, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hello Dr Nouralla Yassin,
    I would like some data about solar energy in sudan most recent ones, please if it is possible to send me some information and some of the fourm papers.

Many Thanks

• May 1, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Solar energy has a great potential in Sudan. I’m an electrical engineer and I think this is a great idea. Using solar energy produces no air or water pollution and no greenhouse gases, but may have some indirect negative impacts on the environment. For example, there are some toxic materials and chemicals that are used in the manufacturing process of photovoltaic cells. Even though I haven’t been in Sudan for a longtime, I still remember the dark nights, and the days where I had to look for water. Solar energy can solve this problem by powering our essential needs. the problem with today’s commercial solar cells, most often made from silicon, typically convert sunlight into electricity with an efficiency of only 10 percent to 20 percent.